HISTORICAL RESIDENCE in Florence
The only other five star hotel in Florence is the marvelous Niccolini Palace at the Duomo. This wonderful gem was recently renovated and converted into a hotel. The Niccolini Palace was originally the home of the Naldini family. This was a prominent family in Florence as it had many of Florence’s prominent merchants and bankers. The Naldini family were the original builders of the palace when the cathedral was built in the 14th century. By the mid 15th century Giovanni Naldini had purchased all the neighboring homes around the cathedral and this became the basis of the current mansion. In the 18th Century, the famous Florentine architect, Pierfrancesco Servi was commissioned to design the grand staircase and gate which can be seen on the hotel’s street, Via di Servi No. 2. The palace was then given as a wedding dowry in the 1800s and the Niccolini family, who are the current owners converted it from a private residence to a five star hotel.
Though the Nicolini Palace at the Duomo is one of the larger converted private residences, and has more rooms than other private residences or boutique hotels. The rooms are unique and have different styles, all luxurious and have all the amenities mentioned below. All the rooms are listed below:
- The Double Rooms are designed to be extra-large. They come as standard, superior, or deluxe. The only difference in the rooms is their size. They all come with double beds and you may request twin beds. The rooms all have large windows with magnificent views and furnished with period furniture. All the furniture and draperies are made from precious fabrics;
- The Suites and Junior Suites are basically like small apartments. Besides the basic above mentioned amenities for all the rooms, the suites and junior suites include a DVD player and you can enjoy movies or videos about Florence and Tuscany in your room. The suites and junior suites are located on the upper floors of the palace and have some of their original frescos on the ceilings and walls. Some of the rooms have timber beams on the ceilings.
The hotel has basic amenities which are available in all rooms regardless of their class. The hotel also has many other amenities throughout the common areas which you can take advantage of as well. All the amenities are listed below:
- Free wifi internet connection is available in all the rooms and you can also have wifi access throughout the hotel common areas as well;
- Bio-memory mattresses are included in all the beds;
- iPod docks are available upon request;
- LCD TV with satellite television is in every room;
- Lunch and dinner can be served to you in your room at your request;
- Marble private bathrooms are available in all rooms which include a warm towel rack and magnifying mirror;
- Safe available with a code for you to store your laptop and other valuables when you are out on the town;
- Private heating and air conditioning in every room which you can control to your individual needs;
- Fully stocked minibar; - Breakfast served to your room at your request;
- Connecting rooms for traveling families or large groups of friends;
- Resident physician and medical staff which you may call on 24 hours if needed;
- Personal massage therapist and hair dresser who can come to your room at your request;
- Babysitting service available upon request;
- Pet friendly;
- Classical music played in public areas;
- Restaurant on ground floor;
- Spa and wellness center available with reservation;
- Personal shopping tours upon reservation at the concierge.