Relais della Rovere
If you are looking for a high quality vacation in the Tuscan countryside, yet you like the luxuries of a ritzy big city hotel, you may want to try the Relais della Rover. This is a four star hotel located in the heart of the Tuscan countryside. The relais itself was originally built in 1100s as a Benedictine convent and was later converted to a residence for the Cardinal delle Rovere in the 15th Century. The cardinal actually was also involved in the arts and was given the relais as a gift from Pope Julius II, who was a lover of fine art and endorsed some of the classic artists, such as Michelangelo and Rafael. The Relais della Rover is located near Colle Val d'Elsa, in the heart of the Tuscan countryside, and thus very close to Siena, Florence, San Gimignano and Volterra.The historic structure is well preserved and you can enjoy a bit of the ancient with some modern touch as well.
The Relais delle Rover are a real treat. Being both a historic structure and a four star hotel, the Relais delle Rover has rooms which are highly luxurious and chalked with a delightful mixture of modern amenities and antiques and modern nicknacks. The types of rooms available are listed below:
- The Classic Rooms are the basic rooms which are located in the part of the relais which used to be the convent. One of the classic rooms is located in the cardinal’s villa and has a beamed furniture with a wrought iron bed and antique furniture;
- The Convento Superior Rooms are mostly located in the convent part of the relais and some are also in the convent’s out building, which has direct access to the park and the pool. These rooms have a modern linear design on their wallpaper and have modern oak furniture. All basic amenities mentioned below are also in all the convento superior rooms;
- The Colonica Superior Rooms are located in the farmhouse of the relais. For those of you who like a mix of new and old, the colonica superior rooms are for you. Being in the 19th Century farmhouse, the colonica superior rooms have antique wrought iron beds and old trunks with modern glass night stands, lamps, and linear designed drapes and window dressings;
- The Luxury Rooms are located in the Renaissance Villa and are an antique lover’s paradise. These wonderful rooms have period beds, furniture, and prints. The rooms have extremely luxurious bathrooms with a whirlpool bathtub, courtesy kit, bathrobe and slippers.The luxury rooms have large windows with views of the historic Colle Val d’Elsa;
- The Junior Suites are ideal for those who are looking for an ultra modern look with a small accent of the old. Most of the junior suites are located in the convent, but one is located on the ground floor of the farmhouse. The junior suites are bilevel and have modern design with modern furniture and accented by the old surrounding structure, such as arch work of the original building structure of the convent and farmhouse. The junior suites have a courtesy gift of an assortment of tea, herbal tea, and coffee set;
- The Suites are the top quality rooms of the entire relais. There are only two suites, one is on the ground floor of the convent, and the other on the villa. These suites have a small foyer which opens into a living are with small sofa beds. The living area leads to both a double bedroom and a wardrobe which leads to one of the two bathrooms in the suite. The bathrooms are equipped with a whirlpool bath and shower. The rooms come with a courtesy kit, bathrobe, and slippers. The suites all have modern design and hardwood floors.